11.29.2009

in the beginning -

Well, can you imagine - ‘The First American Cookbook’! It may be a facsimile of the original “American Cookery,” 1796, by Amelia Simmons, but it is true facsimile, looking the same as when it came hot of the press so many years ago.

This copy was published by Dover Publications in 1984. I’d like to quote from part of the description of it on the back cover of this edition which states that -
The First American Cookbook002
‘This facsimile of the first American-written cookbook published in the United States is not only a first in cookbook literature, but an historic document. It reveals the rich variety of food Colonial Americans enjoyed, their taste, cooking and eating habits, even their colorful, language’.
The style of the writing is a joy to work through, forgetting to read "f"' as "s" occasionally tripped me up.  But the manner of writing itself is charming. The gracious style of relating to the reader in a type of common sophistication that has long gone, and which we find, in this age, amusing. But this is a cookbook, and as such is filled with homely advice, interesting methods of preparing many foods and a keen observation of the seasons and the produce available during those times.
I’m going to quote two recipes, and forgive me if I infringe, but the bravery of the cook and the quantity of ingredients in many recipes, particularly in baking cakes etc., would be highly intimidating to most cooks of today.
                                                                     Diet Bread
     One pound of sugar, 9 eggs, beat for an hour, add to 14 ounces of flour,  spoonful of rose water do.(ditto) cinnamon or coriander, bake quick.
Beat for and hour!?!
and                                                   Soft cakes in little pans
     One and half pounds of sugar, rubbed into two pounds of flour, add one glass of wine, one do. rose water, 18 eggs and a nutmeg.
No further advice or cooking time given
cooking-clipart-8 This delightful and historic cookbook is a must have for anyone truly serious about cooking and the history of cooking – especially in America.

Myself, I love cookery books. I read them like novels. What could be nicer than lying in a hot bath, luxuriating in its comforting warmth as the soothing scent of pine (pick your favorite) wafts over you. All the while sipping a glass of Merlot, or perhaps a Shiraz, as you peruse a thick - possibly newly acquired  - cookbook, chock-a-block with recipes and luscious photographs.
I have a great number of them, as well as  stacks of recipe oriented magazines. Scores of collected recipes, gleaned from here and there, burst the seams of their respective folders. Then there are the stuffed notebooks and weighty ring binders filled with recipes from sites all over the internet which have been gathered over many years. Although I am fully aware that it is a miniscule collection compared to many other recipe aficionados.
A while ago – oh! dear, trying to remember when certain things happened and recall them accurately makes one feel like a suspect in a police interrogation room, time too often lives in the nether world of limbo. Two months ago, two years ago, who knows ago, anyway a long time ago I became a fan of of cooking Blogs. There are the most amazing amount of them out there. Thousands and thousands. Talk about blowing the mind. But! And here we go, some are so far removed from others by their layouts, their descriptive patter or just their friendly, inviting attitude and honest affection for their readers they lead the pack. Or (I prefer what I said in the last sentence, though the following one has merit), maybe it’s simply because their recipes and in your face pictures leave you salivating like any canine who finds a luscious, juicy bone dangled before it.
                                        
Strange are the ways of life. I had just finished writing that last bit when I decided to say a word or two about my favorite food Blog, TasteWithTheEyes and of its founder and chief, Lori Lynn, the whiz behind this really great site. Sooo I stepped into my RSS feed to have a gander (I get it in my Google Reader each day) and lo and behold I find that Blogger Blog had just chosen Taste With The Eyes, as the Blog of Note for today, Thursday, November 26th, 2009!  Kudos, kudos, kudos and double kudos because Lori Lynn is herself a woman of note, certainly to the hundreds of people who regularly follow her blog, and to me especially. And here’s why:-
small_a A medieval calligraphy few months ago I had written to Lori;  it was a request for Julia Child’s Yorkshire pudding – the photo of it looked so great. (Forgive me one and all, it’s true, I do not have Julia’s cookbook on my shelf, mia culpa, I will make amends). I also make this festive dish - a few times each year - and collect all kinds of recipes of same. I have a couple that are really good, (so many variations of so few ingredients), but Lori Lynn’s photo did such great service for above said humble but delicious pud  that I wanted to give it a try. To make a long story short, this lovely, very busy lady took the time to email me the recipe. Her reply to my query was not one of those very short get this over with replies but, though not long, had the sense of the sender having taken time to write it, and answer with thought and care. Lori finished her reply with a request of her own, to let her know how it turned out. Well, I certainly shall. It is on the menu for Christmas dinner and I’m sure it will be scrumptious. A toast to Julia! And a warm thank you to Lori, most generous of bloggers.    

                                                        Fruits of the Seasons!








  

  Just Joey,  the most beautiful of roses and my favorite of favorites.







             











No comments: