3.14.2010

Set The Alarm For Music

 
  Have you ever woken up in the morning to a day that could be classed as Symphonic? Well, have you? You know, clouds like soft drum rolls waiting for crescendos that will surely come, the sea gently undulating as to a melancholy tune from the vibrating strings of violins, and the sky seeming on the verge of filling it's great dome with exquisite melody, a melody terribly sad yet so immensely beautiful that you could easily break down and weep were it not so filled with joyful promise.
    
I hope so, because I have. Yesterday morning it was as though I had woken to a Mahler Symphony, conducted by Mother Nature herself. When  I threw back the curtains to let in the day I could well have believed I had suddenly been transported from my front room into the vast auditorium of Carnegie Hall. I stood looking out across the strait, absorbed by the glorious panorama before me and the heartbreaking yet joy filled music sweeping through me.   
     
         
   But this morning when I threw back the curtains it appeared as though the entire program was being dedicated to Richard Wagner! You know, the "Ride of the Valkyrie" and so forth. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the man. I could not imagine going through life having never heard the - may I say it - caressing, seductive, accelerating, orgasmic climax of the magnificently beautiful  "Love-Death" music accompanying Isolde's famed tragic final aria. If the greatness of this trail blazing arrogant, egotistical musical genius is unknown to you, then turn your ear to the video that follows. Go also to YouTube and check out the Wagner offerings. You may not like everything, not to worry, many of his admirers feel the same way, and if the vocalizing is not to your liking, just listen to the orchestral performances. The following clip - about 8 minutes of music - should give you a very strong hint as to why Wagner is more than - falsely believed - ear splitting vocals. Bypass it if you wish, it's your loss, and that's sad. (A suggestion) When the conductor lowers his baton you might like to stop the video, it's thundering applause from then on. Mightily deserved!

No comments: